Tuesday 6 October 2020

Vampires Vs. The Bronx

Vampires Vs. The Bronx (trailer) arriving on Netflix on the 2nd, a PG-13 / 12 rated (more thanks to one F-bomb than to the amount of blood on show) horror comedy about gentrification, with the vampires as both metaphor and actively involved. The comedy side lands well, and better than the horror, I laughed quite a bit but there’s only really one good “Oh no...” moment for me.

It shows the Bronx as a community, though not a perfect one (with a subplot that reminds me of Attack The Block) and has some nice callbacks to vampire stories, notably Blade, while the setup of the kids versus bumpy-headed and mostly obvious vampires is pretty The Lost Boys as well. (And ’Salem’s Lot too! I just rewatched both miniseries. No mention I could see for Vampire In Brooklyn though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment