Thursday 3 January 2019

Nationals 2019 planning begins

And the Great Work begins once more. No confirmation yet what I’ll be running, so working on the assumption I will get to do Buffy in Urban Fantasy this time, after a year of not.

I already have the gang for Sounds Like Hell printed out from last year, having run them on and off since 2011. But what are they going to do?

Apart from fight vampires and attempt to play music and have awkwardness, obviously.

I’ve nodded at Nationals themes before. Last year was Film so I set my game in L.A. and featured a Hollywood party in one scene - I could have easily taken it further.

This year’s theme is Mad Science, which doesn’t particularly jump out at me for Urban Fantasy. There are obviously categories where it fits more snugly like, say, Sci-Fi and Steampunk. And indeed its own specific category. Hrm.

There’s certainly room for mad science in the Buffyverse, but that room is mostly called Season Four and the occasional Monster Of The Week episode. It could be done, but I wouldn’t want to shove it in as an unfamiliar player’s primary contact with the game as they might wonder where the fantasy and vampires got to.

See what the other theoretical GMs in this theoretical category are doing with it.

Honestly, I’m prooooobably gonna have them fight vampires and attempt to play music and have awkwardness. But, y’know, what else?

No comments:

Post a Comment