Saturday, 15 August 2026

RPGaDAY 2026 15. Endurance

#RPGaDAY 2026

15. Endurance

15. How would you organise an endurance session of your favourite game?

I’ve helped organise and run 24 hour charity RPG events, with optional sponsorship for how many hours a player can manage as well as ways to buy powers and equipment and plot twists with donations. I wasn’t one of the GMs who tried to run one game the whole time, however.

I’ve also been in weekend gaming retreats, including one where a three-part game ran every evening, but not one where the group tried to get through a whole campaign in the time.

Marathon sessions need ways for PCs to come and go along with their players. They often go with the classic dungeon crawl tournament style, seeing how long a given PC can survive.

Not something I’m great at - I could probably do it with a horror game though. An always rising threat and lots of PCs to throw at it. Alien looks like a good choice from the games in my to-do-something-with stack.

I could absolutely run a weekend mini-campaign of many games, six sessions or so. If there’s a suitably sized campaign you can do in that time, go for it.

Something like a mini-arc for Buffy like running through the Initiative specific parts of season four, or the Pylea miniseries at the end of Angel season two.

Maybe a Vampire game tracking a small group through history, or to pick an example we’ve had a sourcebook and TV show for since I ran a band game going on tour.

Or a Star Wars game doing a “trilogy” with a rising threat to galactic freedom, starting with a plucky band and ending with massive space battles and also high personal stakes.

Autocratik

No comments:

Post a Comment