Wednesday 13 July 2022

3D printing your head on an action figure

In a step up from the novelty scan and 3D print booths, Hasbro are rolling out a system to print a good enough scan of your head from a smartphone and put it on a six-inch action figure, starting with suitable Marvel, Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe and Power Rangers bodies, with generic Star Wars bodies like the confirmed X-Wing pilots and likely Stormtroopers and Jedi robes to follow. I presume they have some variety in body shape planned. And hopefully non-US support.

I guess classic Star Wars scale is too small to really show it off, though I’d be surprised if that never follows... and maybe miniatures someday too since Hasbro also owns D&D. Though presumably the smaller it gets, the more pricy compared to normal figures.

I like the sample results, but I would naturally want to use it more for characters. And would probably end up putting them on other bodies for plain clothes options like the Buffyverse, the main thing I’ve made figures for.

No comments:

Post a Comment