Thursday 7 June 2018

We live in palimpsests

I’m starting a potential Storytellers Vault project, drop-in locations with floorplans, NPCs and adventure hooks ready to use in modern city-based Vampire: The Masquerade and other games... and naturally I got hung up on random details. In this case, what the buildings in question were before. Some might be new constructions, but more are, fittingly, renovations of older structures.

City centre nightclubs, taking the first booklets as examples. They used to be theatres or cinemas, factories, schools, stores or churches - the club I know best used to be half of a church basement.

It’s the kind of thing that gets me thinking about worldbuilding, what was in a given place before and what traces that left, like houses built with chunks of abbeys and monasteries after Henry VIII got through with them.

This is also, I hope, beneficial because I can include a note about other uses for the map, other places this place once was or could be now.

No comments:

Post a Comment