Monday 17 August 2020

#RPGaDAY2020 17: COMFORT

#RPGaDAY2020

17: COMFORT

Comfort for the players. (See Buffy thread for comfort for the characters.)

RPGs can, like all media, provide the comfort of the known and familiar. Sometimes you just want to kick in a door and fight some goblins.

A known setting or system can feel like home too. System Mastery is, at least in part, a way to be sure of what to expect.

I go to Star Wars for this, a setting that can include philosophical issues but can also boil down to override a blast door and zap some Stormtroopers.

Likewise, obviously, Buffy, some episodes of which definitely count as comfort TV, even though some absolutely don’t, setting out to surprise and engage. I watch the Season Two episode Killed By Death whenever I get a cold. And when running it I try to restrict myself to a few format-breakers in among the regular monsters and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment