Friday 10 December 2021

The Lord Of The Rings films at 20

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring premiered in London twenty years ago today, on general release nine days later.


Long imagined, we never quite believed we’d see it. And yet see it we did, and then more of it on discs before The Two Towers a year later and Return Of The King after that.

(My brother took our parents and I to see each of them as a shared Christmas present, which meant not having to think of any other ideas for three years, tricksy devil.)

There are various features that fans of the books take issue with, more in the second and third films than in Fellowship, but the wonder of it all swept us along and holds us now. I remember my mother saying “Splendid...” at that panning shot of the hall in Moria.

And as of 2010 I have literally been there and back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment