Saturday 21 December 2019

December 21: The Robin

One of the odder symbols of the season here...

21: The Robin
“I? I’m hope that never dies, that is reborn at the end of every winter, laughing at despair! I am its symbol and its harbinger! I am the spring, the promise implicit in every birth, the wonder that rises with every new day! I am The Robin.”

The above quote comes from a Detective Comics story written by John Ostrander in which, because Batman is a public figure, someone starts publishing a Batman comic in Gotham City.

But anyway, it’s a quote about robins, a suggestion of why Batman’s partner took up that title.

The little red-chested bird is a splash of colour most noticeable in winter, our national bird, and with mythic and symbolic connections to the season making it the star of many a Christmas card.

What heralds the end of winter in your game?

No comments:

Post a Comment