Sunday 20 February 2022

My Nationals history

The cancellation of the Nationals three times in a row and the offer to host it elsewhere got some thinking about it which led to me looking at previous Nationals, brochures, and the like, seeing the categories expand and narrow as the event got bigger pretty quickly, from 15 or so in 2003 (the first year I could find a category list for) to over 30 in the big 2016 show.

And I also looked over my own history before I started GMing by default and blogging about it here.

So, to quote my LiveJournal, what did I play?

... which Nationals games would I have gone into based on game-specific blurbs a la Conpulsion rather than going in blind due to the choosing categories?

1998, Glasgow, WoD
Changeling: the Dreaming. Some servants of the local court go on a quest. No. And I’d have been right not to...
Mage: the Ascension. Some mages go on a quest. Eh, maybe, if there’s nothing else on. About how I felt.

Someone was doing a homebrew Buffy game in one of the other categories. I would have rather been there...

1999, Bangor, WoD again
Mage: the Ascension. A young cabal and their familiars face a threat from beyond. Eh, maybe, if there’s nothing else on. See comments for why this was bloody daft.
Vampire: The Masquerade. A group of vampire elders seek the answer to a mystical murder. Sure. Not bad.

2000, Glasgow, Conspiracy.
Turns out to be “planning crimes” rather than “investigating conspiracies”. No. Still, had some fun.

2001, De Montfort, Star Wars.
Imperial troops learn first-hand of the power the Empire serves. (Dun dun duuuun.) Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay.
A gang of intergalactic crooks attempt one last score. Yeah, okay. Veered madly into improv and was more fun than the planned adventure probably would have been.

2002, Bangor?
Wraith: The Oblivion. The ghosts tied to an abandoned school face their fears and divisions as something rises in the shadows. Yes. Best Nationals game evar.
Vampire: The Masquerade. A group of vampire elders seek the answer to a mystical murder. Sure. Not bad. Not the same game as 1999, but the same sketchy outline leading to a different plot twist.

2003, Dundee, WoD and I won silver.
Vampire: The Masquerade. A Sabbat pack (modelled after The Simpsons) does, um, Sabbat-y things. Eh, maybe, if there’s nothing else on. Still, a laugh.
Vampire: The Masquerade. A coterie of elders seek to defend their city from an unknown threat. Sure, okay. Sure, okay.

2004... I think I took 2004 off. It was in Sheffield and GEAS was less active in going down there than HW had been.

2005 as well. In Bradford. This meant that Ian got to play Buffy at the Nationals and I didn’t. Fuuuuudge.

2006. Sheffield again. We’d obviously figured we’d better go down there. Action And Adventure.
7th Sea. Swashbucklers pursue a mystical secret. Meh. Still, not horrible, largely.
Spycraft. Secret agents infiltrate Cold War Russia in search of... a McGuffin of some kind. Meh. And meh. Most fun was the undercover assignment turning into a makeover montage.

2007. Edinburgh. GMing Action And Adventure. (Adventure!) Can’t really comment here. I got players with a similar pitch for Conpulsion though.

2008. Sheffield. WoD
Mortals... using Mage: The Ascension. A company needs brave volunteers to test the first ever time machine... Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay, if a lot more comedic than one might expect from the category.
NWoD Chronicles Mortals. A small town has fallen silent, and you are the first people to enter it in a week. What will you find? Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay.

2009. Manchester. A&A.
Ninjas And Superspies - let me stop you there and say NO. Still, the N&S one was okay, until two drunk players derailed it.
Feng Shui - no, is there someone else I can talk to? A time-travel romp, no less. Oh, apparently the third option was Adventure! Can I get a recount?

2010. Heriot Watt. GMing Action And Adventure. (Ubiquity.) Can’t really comment here again, except that at the start I went “it’s basically Uncharted” and people largely went “okay, cool”.

So, on the whole, yeah, I’d like to see the premise of a game or at least a system rather than going purely by category. Of course, this isn't always possible or practical if, say, you have three groups and three GMs. I can well imagine Game A filling up while Game B languishes, and prepping a second adventure probably ain’t gonna appeal to every GM. And springing games on players is part of the culture of the Nationals. Just an odd part.

No comments:

Post a Comment