Tuesday 15 August 2023

RPGaDay2023 15) Favourite Con MODULE / ONE-SHOT

#RPGaDay2023

15) Favourite Con MODULE / ONE-SHOT

2014 answer to Favourite Convention Game

Supervillains inevitably turning on each other and ghosts sharing a haunted house.

When I talked about this then, it had already been more than a decade since that Wraith game and over twenty years since the Secret Society of Supervillains. That’s staying power. I was talking about the SSoS game with the director of Conpulsion one year and realised it was probably before he was born.

For GMing, I’m pretty much always happy to go to the Nationals and run Buffy. Or something else I guess.


Three word prompt

15) MODULE / ONE-SHOT

(I’ve always been puzzled by the term ‘module’ for adventures.)

So what makes a good one-shot? That depends what it’s for. A night off for a regular group, a demonstration for strangers at a convention, a taster ahead of pitching campaigns, a special occasion like Hallowe’en or Christmas...

But if I have one piece of advice, it’s better to get to a proper ending a bit early than run out of time. Include a scene or fight you can skip if you have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment