Tuesday 3 September 2024

Star Trek: Picard

I have now seen season three of Star Trek: Picard. I skipped season two following reviews suggesting that as someone who largely liked season one for some particular reasons I had better not. Season three takes one character (after five minutes with another) and one major plot point from S1 and otherwise acts like a different show. Specifically, Star Trek: The Next Generation.

As someone who largely liked but didn’t love S1 I am a tad irked, and can imagine someone who really liked it being a tad more irked by S2 and then by S3 as well.

It doesn’t even keep the theme music - the theme from First Contact is lovely, but...

And I suspect if these three seasons had actually been planned they wouldn’t have had the Borg be a problem two years in a row in a way that S3 ignores.

And kind of goes over the Nemesis situation with Picard reaching out to an actual secret son this time. As well as the Romulan samurai boy he left behind in S1.

Also, Jack is some serious Dawson casting.

I do appreciate S3 giving Deanna a good amount to do, and chill meditative Worf is a lot of fun.

My biggest issue with S1 is never really addressed either, the necessity to add various off-screen regrets in the gap to make it a bleakquel. And S3 has Beverly do that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment