Sunday 1 January 2023

Character Creation Challenge 2023


Generate a starting character for an RPG every day for a month.

I completed the inaugural 31 Day Character Creation Challenge in January 2021 with a different PC (or other starting playable thing) in a different system every day.

In 2022 I went for starting groups for six games, four of which are among my main go-to systems. I might have used that idea up.

So this year, I was thinking groups for other RPGs I can do relatively easily. Angel instead of Buffy, C7’s Doctor Who (first edition), Hunter: The Reckoning if I get it in time...

Or... hmm...

2023 sees the 20th anniversary of my almost legendary Buffy The Vampire Slayer game The Watch House, and I can do Buffy revised stats with ease, so I’m going to be creative with ideas and lazy with system...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (revised edition)
(demo at the BBC Cult TV page, which shows most of the system including most of the Drama Points)



Buffy characters are created through points for Attributes, Skills, Qualities and Drawbacks, and there are a couple of different options for how many you get, most commonly Heroes who start with more points in most places and White Hats who start with more narrative-influencing Drama Points and regain them more easily.

See 2021 for my experience as director and player, and 2022 for a group (that I’m recycling some of) for a ready-to-go setup complete with plot hooks.

A classic Scooby Gang, some Heroes and White Hats I’ve played or could play, some characters in the style of post-Buffy urban fantasy shows, and some weird ideas.

The Chosen Thirty-One

2: Lane the Scooby
3: Kelsey the Slayerette
4: Davis the Watcher
5: Grace the Scenester
6: Blake the Vampire with a Soul
7: Walden the Teen Wolf
8: Dan the Supersoldier
10: Carter the Occultist
11: Jodie the Kid
12: Grace the Witch
14: Minda the Ghost
15: “Shelley” the Teenage Frankenstein
17: Rachel the Wild Talent
20: Seth the Teenage Antichrist
21: The Spear Of The Dawn the Angel, But Really
22: Abigail the Heir
23: Ken the Expert
26: Sir Adem the Knight of Byzantium
27: Moira the hero Out of Time
29: Andrea the Fortune Teller
30: Casey the Neo-Slayer
31: Nega Ashley the Nega Slayer

No comments:

Post a Comment