Monday 31 January 2022

Character Creation Challenge 2022 overview

Character Creation Challenge 2022

The Challenge went big this year, the RPG.net thread is over 1200 replies with quite a few people logging 31 characters or even more. Tardis Captain’s AAR and feedback.

I created groups for three of my go-to games, Buffy, Vampire and Star Wars, as well as ICONS which would be a go-to if I did superheroes more, and two games I chose based on things I’ve been watching recently. I could run them all quite readily, maybe Scream-style Fear Itself as a miniseries but the rest ongoing. Likewise I could definitely play a lot of these characters if the right game came along.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer revised edition
I know this like the back of my hand, so can fiddle with Qualities and Drawbacks to create things like mostly corporeal ghosts and I think the results are reasonably fair.

Character generation for V5 is pretty straightforward, it’s just that there are a lot of steps. Still good to check which Attribute and Skill you’ll be rolling for common situations, though.

ICONS Assembled Edition
Non-random character generation is fast. Random generation could be a fun exercise, but I had a team idea ready to go so I built them instead.

Fear Itself second edition
Character generation itself is pretty simple, so I added questionnaire answers and the like to give myself more to do and make more interesting reading.

Star Wars D6 first edition
Simplicity itself. Though when I make templates I tend to go with full dice more than pips, as I always feel they’re better value.

Leverage
About five minutes per character, plus time creating Distinctions and Specialties as the game could do with more examples. I’ll also note that the example characters in the Companion all have Signature Assets so I could have added those, and the Companion adds Talents and they’re all pretty narrow so I would be tempted to give everybody three instead of two.

Roundup

a: Buffy The Vampire Slayer with the monster-hunting staff of a college paper
1a: Shelly The Vampire Slayer
2a: Caitlin the seer
3a: Ty the newsie
4a: Madison the one-woman society page
5a: Willis the tech support
6a: Jerome the ghost

b: Vampire: The Masquerade fifth edition, a coterie of vampires and others connected to a club
7b: Paris, Toreador club promoter
8b: Shane, Brujah street teamer
9b: Mercy, Caitiff wait staff
10b: Jonah, ghoul security
11b: Alice, dhampir teenage runaway

c: ICONS Assembled Edition, the New Orleans Stars official first response superhero team
12c: Guardsman, team leader and shield
13c: Compass, pulse of the city
14c: The Beat, sonic strike rapper
15c: Spearpoint, special agent with an alien weapon
16c: Naiad, daughter of the water

d: Fear Itself in the style of Scream, as a masked killer stalks an isolated college town
17d: Jodie Wells, Final Girl...?
18d: Ashley Shelton, Supportive Friend...?
19d: Officer Derick, To Serve And Protect...?
20d: Ted Randall, Film Geek...?
21d: Tilly Hayes, Crusading Reporter...?

e: Star Wars D6 first edition, a band of Rebels
22e: Lien, captain of the Whisper
23e: Drad, first mate
24e: Snaggletooth, saboteur
25e: Sergeant Sliss, marine
26e: Nadani Secar, child of the Force

f: Leverage with a London-based Crew
27f: Lark, Grifter
28f: Finn, Hacker
29f: Mr. Burrell, Hitter
30f: Mihika, Mastermind
31f: Lana, Thief

Certificate by the Captain’s daughter


See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment