Tuesday 19 August 2014

RPG A Day 19: Favourite Published Adventure

#RPGaDay‬

Day 19 Question - Favourite Published Adventure

I like published adventures, though I hardly ever run them. For one thing, I keep making up my own settings and tend to have adventure ideas pouring out of me. For another, Storyteller games don’t get very many.

Once again, I have a few answers...

As an independent thing, it’s a choice between Over and Under - Shadows Over Bögenhafen for WFRP and Grace Under Pressure for Call of Cthulhu. Oddly, Shadows is more trad Cthulhu than Grace. I ran Shadows when it came out, and it was probably the most successful of the Enemy Within adventures for my group. I haven’t had a chance to run Grace.

For a mini-campaign in one book, Giovanni Chronicles IV: Nuova Malattia for Vampire: The Masquerade. As an “epilogue” to the previous three books, it gives the players new characters and a view from the bottom of vampire society and organised crime in a 20th century Mafia epic. The main drawback is the connection to the first three books, so the last of the adventures it contains is about tying them together.

Vampire also gets my vote for best adventure in a rulebook. 1st and 2nd edition Masquerade end with Baptism by Fire, in which a group of young Kindred go to a party. It changed what an adventure could be for me. I talk about both of them here in the Vampire Challenge.

Last but not least, a magazine adventure. Fated Voyage, from Challenge issue 46. While I hardly ever run them, I got this in 1990 and have run it twice, both times in the last three years, neither time for its intended system or setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment