Saturday 10 August 2019

#RPGaDAY 2019 10: FOCUS

RPGaDAY 2019

10: FOCUS

Ways of getting the group to focus.

Some days, the session doesn’t really start. Often, it starts after various arrivals, chatting, eating, catching up. (My contemporaries group used to meet Thursday one week and Tuesday the next, and we’d almost always settle faster after the five-day gap than the nine-day gap.) There’s only so much you can do. But what you can do...

Play somewhere quiet. As I default to speaking pretty quietly, this is vital. Even if I didn’t, fewer distractions would be good.

Have time. The settling period takes about as long no matter how long the session is.

I try to minimise being on available WiFi. I won’t say don’t be at all, but for me I try to restrict it to looking up relevant things. Even then I can get distracted by that, as anyone who’s seen me look for a picture for an idea will know.

Prep for what you’re not good at improvising. Look for those pictures in advance. I find a list of names particularly handy, to stop racking my brain for one in the moment and to stop all my NPCs being called Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment