Wednesday 17 August 2022

#RPGaDay2022 17 - When is your favourite game set?

#RPGaDay2022

17 - Past, Present, or Future? When is your favourite game set?

It didn’t take long for me to gravitate towards modern-ish games, starting with superheroes.

I haven’t run a traditional medieval-style game in a long time, and it’s been a while since anything futuristic either. Occasional Star Wars.

I’d go for a 20s-30s pulp Adventure! game with player interest, or “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away”...

But the Vampire family of games and Buffy both juxtapose the supernatural with a world that looks a lot like ours, and adding a different setting era can take away from that, as well as preventing Buffy’s mangling of pop culture references and the like.

My favourite picture from d20 Modern, by Ryan Sook.
See resulting Buffy adventure hook.

And for variety, I have another blog for a setting where the answer would be “Yes”.

No comments:

Post a Comment