Saturday 20 August 2022

#RPGaDay2022 20 - How long do your games last?

#RPGaDay2022

20 - How long do your games last?

Per session, generally three to four hours. Probably a bit shorter online than at the table - travel could cut into it, but going to a specific place focuses the mind a bit more.

The longest session I’ve ever run was probably six or so hours of one game, as part of a weekend retreat. (The longest session I’ve ever run geographically was on a train...)

Per series, they largely revolve around university schedules - generally a semester with the option to continue for an academic year if we’re enjoying it, and sometimes more.

The Watch House going for five and a half years - stopping because we hit the same episode count as Buffy itself - was a surprise to everybody really. (And not just because I set it five years before when we started playing to avoid dealing with major setting changes that would affect the premise...)

My notebooks for The Watch House season seven.
(When I found notebooks with Kings College Cambridge on the cover I got a few.)

I’ve been running Vampire: The Masquerade consistently for about as long at a stretch (and a bit of Vampire: The Requiem before that) with a few breaks, with a couple of the same players along with new players every year, but starting a new chronicle every year or two as it’s less of a kitchen sink so I can’t throw in as many random ideas and have them fit tonally, and I can’t really do the escalating Big Bad structure. I took a break to run some Buffy this summer after my most recent Vampire game featured too many angry ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment