Sunday 28 August 2022

#RPGaDay2022 28 - Style Sunday: favourite RPG cover art

#RPGaDay2022

28 - Style Sunday: Roll 1d8+1, tag that many friends with your favourite RPG cover art.

To the surprise of I suspect very few regular readers, the original Vampire: The Masquerade cover.


The product of budgetary necessity, a photo of a piece of marble and a rose, it evoked a mood and stood out from most RPG covers of the time with paintings of characters in action. Backed up by the interior art, especially Tim Bradstreet’s full-page chapter frontispieces, it suggested more than showed.

No tagging, but I did decide to roll, and got a 3, so three more...

There had been minimalist covers before Vampire, all the way back to Traveller at least, but this is the one that got me for something I was already looking at. And the first edition of Traveller I saw, the 1983 starter set, had a figurative art cover anyway. But I’ll still count it.


One of the best presented RPGs I’ve ever seen is the second edition of Nobilis:


And finally let’s go much more traditional with first edition King Arthur Pendragon, the cover by Jody Lee which I first thought was a Pre-Raphaelite original.



Dave Chapman
Runeslinger and week 4 video with guest Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment