Saturday 23 January 2021

Character Creation Challenge 23: Psi*Run

31 Day Character Creation Challenge


I was going to try The 23rd Letter for day 23, but I don’t own a physical copy and it isn’t available on PDF anywhere I can find, so taking my first look at a different game about Scanners style psychics on the run from sinister agencies hunting them.

Psi-Run is a narrative game designed for one-shots running about five hours, or miniseries of shorter sessions.

“The characters, called Runners, have psychic powers and amnesia. The one thing they know for certain is that they are being pursued by their former captors, called Chasers. Over the course of the game, the players roll dice and assign them to categories, called Risks, in order to achieve their goals, answer the questions about the Runners past, use their psi powers, avoid harm, and avoid recapture by the Chasers.”

The amnesia angle nudges it towards Scanners meets The Bourne Identity.

Characters start as partially blank slates with a lot of questions. More details get filled in during the game.

--
Runner
1. Who am I?
I don’t know my name.

2. What is my power?
I can feel when people are near, even in the dark, and feel strong emotions from them.

3. When I look in the mirror, I see...
A white male, about twenty-five, in good shape with short-cropped hair, maybe military, in scrubs.

4. I have questions...
4-6 questions, to be answered during the game.

At least one related to the character’s power.
“How do I know what each emotion feels like?”

Questions relating to strengths and weaknesses.
“Why do I know how to take someone down so quickly? And why do I get these headaches?”

At least one about immediate past or current circumstances.
“Why did I wake up in a morgue?”

No comments:

Post a Comment