Sunday 15 August 2021

#RPGaDAY2021 15: SUPPLEMENT

#RPGaDAY2021

15: SUPPLEMENT

Supplements as we use the term in RPGs are additional books and resources to add to games beyond the core rules. As such you shouldn’t need any supplements to run an RPG, but they can be a great help. Sourcebooks, optional rules additions, adventures and GMing advice can add a lot of valuable ideas and context. Indeed, I own supplements for games I’ve never invested in the rules for, notably GURPS due to its series of game-friendly sourcebooks on a variety of topics such as historical eras and genres.

I learned a lot about GMing from advice articles starting in rulebooks, in magazines like White Dwarf, and GMing guides. I may not have based a series on that sourcebook or run that adventure directly but I’ve swiped ideas from it consciously or unconsciously. And sometimes I’ve decided something doesn’t fit my style, but that showed me what to do instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment