Monday 9 August 2021

#RPGaDAY2021 9: MEDIUM

#RPGaDAY2021

9: MEDIUM

Since Medium comes two days after Small and the MTWTFSS format doesn’t have Large (though it could have Massive) it doesn’t easily follow that pattern.

Medium can also mean the method of communication, or in this case of play.

Playing RPGs live but remotely feels different than at the tabletop due to visual cues being in little boxes and most conferencing software making multiple speakers cut out, though it has its advantages too like allowing players from beyond easy commuting distance, and also that my typed notes are a lot easier to read than my written ones!

I also sometimes run and play play-by-post games, which are all typing so very easy to reread, but a fight can last two weeks, and it can be impossible to tell when you lose a player.

LARP gives you great immersion, but for me that fails when ‘what you see is what you get’ breaks and relying on description just makes it less comfortable tabletop, and (depending on rules) I have to play characters with close to my own ability levels or things that can be represented some other way.

Games with large player bases like parlour LARP and chat work for the social and political, and sometimes the personal, less so for quests as it’s harder to balance risk and reward for five hundred people than five.

Bonus round:

Role - How to answer this one. I suppose my general ‘role’ in groups when playing is support, sometimes filling a niche, and sometimes leader when a group seems to need one.

Emotion - I aim for emotional reactions like laughter from players, while it can be dramatic with players who want their characters to suffer I don’t want the players to.

Percentage - A nice easy to grasp system for the odds of success, but I prefer a bell curve to a straight roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment