Tuesday 31 August 2021

#RPGaDAY 2021 roundup

#RPGaDAY2021



Talking about scenarios, published adventures, using some, and the one I’ve used twice for two systems it wasn’t written for.
2: MAP
I rarely use maps in game, but talk about ways I have used them, ways they could be used, a funny recent positioning failure, and an aside to diss Alexander the Great.
I’m not particularly good at or interested in tactical combat. I’ve taken to telling prospective players this.
RPGs often encourage close combat and for fantasy games that can mean a lot of magic swords.
Who sits on the throne in your setting? And how much does this matter on the PCs’ level?
Systems, GMs and players all affect the tone, or flavour, of a game.
Small run series, small press games, small size games, small settings, small groups, and small characters.
Streaming RPGs, what would I run on stream if I could, and with hindsight which game would I have done as a podcast? Guess.
The method of communication, or in this case of play. Tabletop, video conference, PBP, LARP, chatroom, all have strengths and weaknesses.
10: TRUST
Trust between players and GMs, PCs and NPCs.
Most of my games are urban in focus, but there are urban wilderness areas as well, places where adventures often happen out of sight.
12: THINK
These prompts make me think, so for THINK I will think about what gets me to think.
13: FLOOD
There are So Many Games.
14: SAFETY
Safety tools in gaming, as well as safe places for characters.
Supplements as we use the term in RPGs are additional books and resources to add to games beyond the core rules. As such you shouldn’t need any supplements to run an RPG, but they can be a great help.
16: MOVE
How an RPG determines initiative and movement can say a lot about it.
17: TRAP
I love Raiders Of The Lost Ark but one thing about the Indiana Jones series I rarely emulate seriously is the use of traps.
18: WRITE
I run and play RPGs through writing as well as speech.
19: THEME
All games have themes, conscious and stated or otherwise.
Foundations as in large groups, like the Neptune Foundation in the Trinity Continuum.
The first RPG I played and then ran, Fighting Fantasy, had three randomly-generated statistics and two of them hardly ever came up. I’ve tended towards simple systems ever since.
Have you switched out a system to run a game? Or if you're reading this RPG blog, a better question might be how often?
23: MEMORY
What characters know or remember can and will be much more than players remember about their adventures.
Speaking at the table, language rules, and X-Wings not being an X in Aurebesh.
How do you welcome new players?
26: THEORY
Theory discussions cover every aspect of RPGs. One big set is looking at player styles and preferences.
Multiplication and division and fractions are best avoided in game mechanic maths, I feel. And what fraction of the games I own have I run, let alone played?
28: SOLO
Gamebooks and one-to-one games.
29: SYSTEM
All systems, even the simplest, have playstyle nudges whether intended or not.
Recommended reading and viewing in roleplaying games, and retelling staple stories.
31: THANK
Thank you!

See also 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment