Thursday 26 August 2021

#RPGaDAY2021 26: THEORY

#RPGaDAY2021

26: THEORY

Theory discussions cover every aspect of RPGs. One big set is looking at player styles and preferences. Eddy Webb looks at a number of these in his presentation Your Game Sucks (2012 edition) including the Gamist/Narrativist/Simulationist model and the D&D survey model, as well as his own based on large-scale games like LARPs, MMOs and chats but also applicable at the tabletop, with the proviso that players’ interests shift, sometimes in the moment. With that in mind I pitch games with what I tend to include and exclude, managing expectations from the beginning.

Bonus round:

Play - What we’re here to do. But in the context of roleplaying games play has two meanings. We play the game, and we play a role. Which takes precedent varies with players, GMs, and times.

Origin - I’ve talked about how I started with RPGs, but before that I was already primed. I had Star Wars wallpaper, I remember having Tolkien read to us, I was always more 2000 A.D. than the Beano.

Renew - A new game, edition, or group can bring a lot to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment